Residency Licensure

The Appalachian State University Career and Technical Education Program offers the new alternative licensure pathway called Residency Licensure. This route allows qualified individuals to obtain a teaching position and begin teaching immediately as a resident while obtaining a clear professional educator's license.  Residency licenses are for one-year and can be renewed for up to a 3-year licensure cycle. Residency licensure is issued on a provisional basis in the area of your indiviudal qualifications. You must be hired by a school district under the residency program to begin the residency licensure pathway. State forms and additional information can be found on the NC Dept. of Public Instruction Residency Licensure website.

To be eligible for a Residency Licence an individual is required to:

  • have an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university or college.
  • have an earned 2.7 cumulative GPA on their degree.
  • have either completed 24 semester hours of coursework in the requested licensure area or passed the content area examination(s) required by the N.C. State Board of Education for the requested licensure area (Praxis II).
  • be enrolled in a recognized EPP, and;
    • have completed preservice requirements prior to teaching.
    • have been offered employment by an LEA.

 You can pursue a Residency License with Appalachian State through the Graduate Certificate in Career & Technical Education in the following CTE areas:

  • Agricultural Education
  • Business, Finance and Information Technology (Praxis II or 24 hours)
  • Marketing and Entrepreneurship (Praxis II or 24 hours)
  • Family and Consumer Sciences (Praxis II or 24 hours)
  • Technology, Engineering and Design (Praxis II or 24 hours)
  • Trade and Industrial
  • Health Sciences Education

To Apply to the program, complete the following Steps:

Step 1:

If you have a 3.0 Undergraduate GPA apply to the Graduate School and select the Graduate Certificate - Career & Technical Education program during the application process. Upon admission students will be allowed to take two graduate courses in the program each semester. If you do not have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, you can still apply to the Graduate School and select the Graduate Certificate - Career & Technical Education program during the application process; however, you will be considered for provisional admission and you will only be allowed to register for one course in your first semester. Upon completion of one successful semester you will  be allowed to take up to two courses a semester.

Step 2:

Contact the CTE Program Director and let her know that you are applying and which CTE concentration you are applying for:

Dr. Jerianne Taylor
(828) 262-6352
218C Reich College of Education 


The Appalachian State Residency Licensure Program (consisting of the Graduate Certificate in Middle and Secondary Teaching) consists of six (6) graduate level courses and the required edTPA field experience (1-6 sh) and costs approximately $5000 - $6500 to complete the program requirements. Students complete graduate level coursework that may be applied to degree requirements for a full Masters degree at a later time.

For any additional information or questions, please email Dr. Jerianne Taylor directly.