Appalachian State University is proud to offer the ONLY Bachelor of Science Career and Technical Education Program in the state of North Carolina. The Career and Technical Education (CTE) Program at Appalachian State University is comprised of 75 plus majors and four full-time faculty. Students can choose from seven areas of concentration:
- Agriculture Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Business, Finance and Information Technology Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Business and Marketing Entrepreneurship Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Technology, Engineering and Design Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Trade and Industrial Education (teaching/licensure program)
- Workforce Leadership and Development (NON-teaching/non-licensure)
Each teaching concentration provides students with the opportunity to focus on middle and high school teaching while developing a greater depth of knowledge in a specific area of Career and Technical Education (CTE). Through experiential learning and relevant projects, students are challenged to develop a comprehensive knowledge base. Partnerships with programs across campus give CTE students the opportunity to work with discipline-specific experts while still learning the art of teaching.
The Workforce Leadership and development, non-teaching/licensure, concentration provides students with the opportunity to link thier technical skills with skills in business, leadership, personnel, finance, information technology, education, work, curriculum, and training to improve competitiveness within the workforce. This program is designed to work with all industries and capitalize on a student's’ goals and content experience and provide the necessary workforce leadership and career skills needed to lead, educate and improve their employees and for personal skill growth.
Individuals that already hold a Bachelor's degree in a related content area can obtain licensure in Career and Technical Education though our Graduate Certificate Program!
Appalachian State University also offers a Residency Licensure alternative licensure pathway for those individuals with an earned Bachelor's Degree